Friday, October 8, 2010

Well call me impressed

It was somewhat early in my shift.

An older gentleman with a distinct southern twang in his speech came into the store. I began my usual friendly greeting and he returned it.

As he poured himself a cup of coffee (so lucky I had just made a fresh pot) he looked up and asked me specifically what my first name was. He was too far away from the counter to see my "Batman" name tag and wasn't trying to read it. He asked me directly.

I told him of course, and he replied by sharing his. He then bought his coffee and I gave him my usual farewell sendoff, "Have a good night sir." He stopped in his tracks, turned around and said "Call me (his name here). We have first names, I say we use them."

This made me smile and I said, "Absolutely, have a good night (his name here)."

I know nothing else about this guy. I know his name, and I know there is southern twang in his speech. And the lasting impact he made on me just with that little hospitality impressed me very much.

It's the kind of interaction I strive to have with customers on a daily basis. It's the kind of person I work to be.

It was inspiring, it was encouraging. And it was the most interesting encounter of the night.

Next shift is tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment